Sunday 25 January 2015

It's been a pretty relaxed week regarding work. Now that we're not working in Mainstream anymore, it doesn't feel quite as exhausting. I still see all the Mainstream children during Aftercare - which really takes it out of you at the end of the day - and I've also been introduced to the new Grade 00s. They are tiny... and still getting used to having to abide by the rules of school. But it's very funny to watch them adjust, like when they come to you and ask if they "can go wee-wee" and you ask them to use the word "toilet" instead.

All the previous Grade 00s (now incredibly big and grown-up Grade 0s), were very excited when we came to Aftercare when school started again. They ran up to me shouting, "MISS ANNA, WE GOT HOMEWORK!" - I'm sure that excitement will wear off in a few weeks. Then they went on to boast about how mature they all are, but still couldn't resist getting a little cuddle. Lechlabile - the boy that would check out his muscles in the mirror of the previous Grade 00 class - was very funny when he saw me again. He attempted to do pull-ups on the monkey bars and got stuck so I had to help him down, and then he got very offended and stomped off. I realised that he hadn't really grown throughout the holidays, he still only reaches just below my hip.

Working in Lifeskills this week was very enjoyable, we had a visit from the new boy on Monday because it was his birthday, so we all celebrated by eating cake (my kind of party). He doesn't actually start school with us until February, but it was lovely for us and the children to meet him. Disability wise, he's definitely one of the more able ones in the class so it will be interesting finding out what his strengths and weaknesses are, and working to develop both. During the rest of the week we focused on the alphabet, months and numbers up to 20 - pushing my maths knowledge. It was really encouraging to see the children improve gradually over the course of the week and hopefully, when they get the hang of the basics, we can start working on spelling and easy maths equations.

In other news: I've recently found a new running companion - a dog who belongs to the hostel master. I asked a couple of weeks ago if I could take him on runs with me, partly to feel more safe and just for the company. Running during the day is just too hot so I choose to go out when it's dark, a little bit scary but better now that Playto comes with me. Though he is black so it's quite hard to keep track of him in the dark sometimes... Last night when I finished my run, he bounded up to me with a plastic bottle and we had a quick game of fetch. It then developed into a game were I would pretend to throw the bottle one way and then throw it in the opposite direction and chase after it, racing him to it. He beat me every time even when he ran the wrong way... It must have looked extremely odd to anyone that saw the game.
This weekend I finally managed to use the Christmas baking mould and sprinkles that my parents sent in December, the biscuits are now hidden in a drawer in my room. I also purchased a world map in an attempt to memorise all the countries in the world, I'll let you know how that goes...

Next week I'm working in Juniors - it's going to be a tiring week!

Very late Christmas biscuits

World map challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment