Tuesday 1 July 2014

Not Long Now...

Hello Everyone,

It is now only two months until I leave to spend my gap year in South Africa and things are finally coming together! In the next couple of weeks I have my last round of injections and on Tuesday I will be catching the train up to Oban for the training week. It will be great to finally meet everyone who'll be travelling with me to South Africa and reunite with the friends I made during the Selection week back in November. Hopefully the weather will stay nice and sunny so we get a chance to appreciate the beach - as you can imagine, we didn't pay much attention to the beach in November...

In regards to my fundraising I have almost reached my target (only £300 to go!) and I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has helped me get here. It seemed an impossible task back in November to raise £5,600 as well as tackling exam season, but thanks to your generosity I'm nearly there!

The fundraising part of my gap year actually got me involved in a lot of fun activities... The ceilidh we organised in April raised about £1000 and the Edinburgh Half Marathon was fantastic. If you'd asked me during the race however, my response probably would have been different. Along with these events there were the brownie and jewellery sales that brought in small bursts of income. I have to say that although the fundraising side to this experience has been daunting, it really makes you appreciate the gap year a lot more. It feels like you've earned it - literally!

I hope to post a couple more updates before I leave but after that I'll be blogging from Polokwane, South Africa. A scary thought. Thanks again for all your support and please keep checking up on my blog!

The Fundraiser Ceilidh in April

After finishing the Edinburgh Half Marathon

Showing off our Edinburgh Half Marathon medals!